- Nizoral (see below) is the shampoo with the highest concentration of ketoconazole (2%)
- Male pattern hair loss is caused by the hormone DHT. Ketoconazole is believed to reduce DHT in the scalp
- If you have dandruff or male pattern baldness use Nizoral twice a week.
- Massage the shampoo into your scalp and leave for 2 minutes before rinsing. Rinse Well…
- The active ingredient, ketoconazole, is toxic. At 2% it’s not harmful, so don’t worry, but don’t over use the shampoo or leave it on your scalp for more than 2 minutes
- If you have hair loss that is not caused by DHT, use a milder shampoo with less ketoconazole (see the list of shampoos below). Please note: manufacturers change their ingredients from time to time and some shampoos on this list may no longer contain ketoconazole. Check the ingredients before you buy.
If you have dandruff one of the best things you can do is start using a shampoo that contains ketoconazole. Most people have heard of Head and Shoulders, which uses zinc to control dandruff, but actually ketoconazole shampoos are more effective at treating scalp conditions. Furthermore, ketoconazole (the active ingredient) is a mild ‘5-alpha-reductase inhibitor’, which may help reduce DHT in your scalp, which in turn may help reduce hair loss in men experiencing male pattern baldness.
Ketoconazole is a toxic chemical at sufficient volumes, but at the small volumes contained in these shampoos it effectively kills the common fungi that cause dandruff.