One of the world’s most effective hair loss treatments — Minoxidil — works by improving blood circulation in the scalp. It’s an effective product that millions of people use. But there’s actually a far more effective way to increase blood circulation without having to use Minoxidil. Here’s what you need to do…
If you’ve ever scratched your skin before (and you have pale skin), you’ve probably noticed your skin turn red where it’s been scratched. That’s because you’ve damaged the skin very slightly causing your body to increase the blood circulation in that area to heal the damage.
That might sound like very basic biology, but it’s actually the basis of an extremely effective new hair loss treatment being developed by one of the world’s most renowned hair loss research companies, Follica.
The idea is very simple: by mildly damaging the scalp tissue with a micro-needle device, the body increases blood flow to the damaged area. Since we can cause very mild damage to the entire scalp in just a few minutes using a Dermaroller, we can massively increase blood circulation in the scalp very quickly and extremely cheaply.
But here’s the really great part
The researchers at Follica have discovered a way to generate completely new hair follicles in the scalp using this method. When the scalp tissue is damaged, new tissue is generated to repair the damage. Hair follicles are a naturally occurring feature of skin tissue; so when the new skin tissue is generated to heal the wound, it’s possible to generate new hair follicles.
In other words, we can use this simple technique to make entirely new hair grow in the scalp, increasing the hair density at very little cost.
How to do it
In order to generate new follicles in the healing tissue, you have to increase ‘growth factors’ in the scalp tissue and change the balance of prostaglandins. This has been achieved in the lab using a mixture of chemicals applied to the scalp skin, as follows:
VEGF is a growth factor that’s been shown to increase hair growth. Since VEGF is the growth factor responsible for the formation of blood vessels, you can see why it’s incredibly important for the development of hair follicles.
When balding scalps were analysed in the lab the growth factor IGF-1 was found to have been reduced to below the levels of scalps that weren’t balding. It seems that DHT causes IGF-1 to decrease in the scalp. By reducing scalp DHT and increasing scalp IGF-1 hair growth can be increased.
More ways to increase scalp blood circulation
Use a hard-bristled boar brush
Get a hard-bristled boar brush. Three times per day, when your hair and scalp are dry, brush your scalp hard with the brush. This will increase blood circulation as well as exfoliating the scalp skin.
Read nextWhats the best shampoo for hair loss?
Hair growth products that increase scalp blood circulation
Around $35 for 2oz
- Gingseng extract may promote blood circulation in the scalp
- “Nanoxidil” (a new form of Minoxidil, developed by DS Labs) increases blood circulation in the scalp and is thought to penetrate the scalp skin better than normal Minoxidil
- Aminexil is thought to improve blood circulation in the scalp and may help reduce perifollicular fibrosis
- Arginine may help improve blood circulation in the scalp
- Uses nanosomes to improve delivery of ingredients
- Contains copper peptides, which may help reduce inflammation
- Contains Adenosine, which has been shown to be effective in reducing hair loss in several major hair loss studies
- Contains polyphenols, which are thought to help improve blood circulation in the scalp and according to DS Labs help regrowth along the hair line
- Citrulline is a precursor to arginine, which helps improve blood circulation
- Contains natural plant stem cells, which may help increase cell growth in the scalp
- Contains Biotin, which supports healthy hair
- Contains oleanolic acid, which may increase growth factors in the scalp, increasing hair growth
- Retinol is an antioxidant, which is thought by some to reduce hair loss