Around 33 GBP for 10.2oz
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) Free
- Organic ingredients
- Contains Aloe Vera, which may help improve scalp skin health
- Contain Panax Gingseng, which may help increase blood circulation in the scalp
- Contains saw palmetto: topical saw palmetto may reduce DHT in the scalp
- Contains chilli seed oil and cayenne pepper extract, which have been shown to promote hair growth
- Contains vitamin A (retinol), which has been shown to aid in hair growth
- Aloe Leaf Juice
- Sage Leaf Extract
- Calendula Flower Extract
- Matricaria Flower Extract
- Panax Ginsen Root Extract
- Colloidal Oatmeal
- Lemon Peel Extract
- Caprylyl Glycol
- Hexylene Glycol
- Saw Palmetto Oil
- Chili Seed Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Lemon Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Provitamin B-5 (d-panthenol)
- Hydrolyzed Silk Protein
- Cassia Essential Oil
- Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol)
- Clove Leaf Essential Oil
- Candelilla Wax
- Cayenne Pepper Extract
- Styrax Benzoin Essential Oil
- Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate
- Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate)
- Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Lauramide MEA
- Cetrimonium Chloride
- PEG-150 Distearate
- Citric Acid
How to Trigger Rapid Hair Growth
Around $16 for 12oz
- Contains niacin (a B vitamin), which may increase blood circulaiton in the scalp, thereby increasing nmutrient supply to the hair via the bloodstream — though this is not proven
- Contains zinc, which as been shown to be beneficial in preventing the development of scalp fungi that cause scalp conditions like dandruff
- Contains castor oil, which is high in ricinoleic acid. Ricinoleic acid has been shown to increase scalp PGE2, which is key for hair growth. Therefore castor oil may help reduce hair loss and promote hair growth
- Contains Nettle extract, which studies suggest may have DHT blocking properties
- Contains biotin, a B vitamin required for creating hair keratin in the scalp
- Contains caffeine, which has been shown in several studies to promote hair growth
- Contains melatonin, a powerful antioxidant, which has been shown in studies to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth when used topically
- Contains oleic and linoleic acid, which have been shown to block DHT
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate
- Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate
- PEG-150 Stearate
- Dihydroxypropyl PEG-5 Linoleammonium Chloride
- Sorbic Acid
- PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide
- Sodium Chloride
- Citric acid
- Sodium benzoate
- Potassium Sorbate
- Disodium EDTA
- Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba (Guar) Gum
- Sodium Metabisulfite
- Larix Europaea Wood Extract
- Zinc Chloride
- Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract [Redensyl]
- Dextran (and) Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3 (and) Trifolium Pratense [Clover] Flower Extract [Capixyl]
- Butylene Glycol (and) PPG-26-Buteth-26 (and) PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (and) Apigenin (and) Oleanolic Acid (and) Biotinoyl Tripeptide-1 [Procapil]
- Cimicifuga Racemosa Root Extract (and) Lepidium Meyenii Root Extract (and) Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract (and) Silybum Marianum Seed Extract [Phytelene Complex EGX]
- Polysorbate 20,Behetrimonium Chloride
- Keravis Protein
- Hydrolyzed Soy Protein
- Sophora Angustifolia Root Extract
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
- Linoleic Acid
- PEG-7 Dimethicone (and) Laureth-7
- Oleic Acid
Around 10 GBP for 259g
- Caffeine shampoo has been shown to reduce hair loss and promote hair growth
- Niacin may increase blood circulation, which may help increase blood flow to the hair, feeding the hair
- Regular application of salicylic acid on the scalp will help break down embedded sebum, dead skin cells and built-up cosmetics, clearing pores
- Melatonin is a really exciting ingredient for preventing and reversing hair loss. Studies have shown topical application of Melatonin may have remarkable hair growth benefits
- Coco Glucoside
- 2% Caffeine
- 2% Niacinamide
- Butylene Glycol
- 1.5% Barosma Betulina Leaf Extract
- 1% Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Extract
- 1% 4-Terpineol
- 1% Salicylic Acid
- 1% Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract
- Argania spinosa kernel oil
- Xanthan Gum
- Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) oil
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone
- 33ppm Melatonin
Around $37 for 360ml
Read nextWhats the best shampoo for hair loss?
- Contains zinc which helps kill common scalp fungi and may help prevent hair loss
- Contains azelaic acid, which is thought to inhibit DHT production in the scalp
- Contains niacin, which may help increase blood circulation in the scalp
- Contains saw palmetto, which may help inhibit DHT in the scalp
- Decyl Glucoside
- Disodium Ciciamphodiacetate
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Aloe Barbadensis Gel (Aloe Vera)
- Simmondsia Chinensis Oil (Jojoba Oil)
- Cocoyl Sarcosine
- Glycol Stearate
- Cyamopsis Tetragonolobus Gum
- Hydrolyzed Soy Protein
- Zinc Sulfate
- Linoleic Acid
- Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate (Vitamin B6)
- Serenoa Serrulata Extract (Saw Palmetto)
FAST Hair Growth Accelerating Shampoo Around $15 for 12oz
- Aqua (water, eau)
- sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate
- PEG-4 rapeseedamide
- cocamidopropyl betaine
- sodium coamphoacetate
- glycol distearate
- dicaprylyl ether
- PEG/PPG-120/10 trimethylpropane trioleate
- decyl glucoside
- glyceryl oleate
- lauryl glucoside
- sodium cocoyl glutamate
- sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate
- cetyl trimonium dimethicone PEG-8 succinate
- hydrolyzed wheat protein
- sodium chloride
- citric acid
- sodium benzoate
- benzoic acid
- magnesium nitrate
- magnesium chloride
- CI42090 (Blue 1)
Majestic Pure Coffee Hair Loss Shampoo
Around $14 for 8oz
- Strong evidence suggests caffeine promotes hair growth. This shampoo’s main ingredient is coffee.
- Coffee is a natural source of anti-oxidants, which scavenge free-radicals, protecting the cells in the scalp
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- Pantheonol (Pro-Vitamin B5)
- Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil
- Tetrasodium EDTA
Nisim New Hair Biofactors Shampoo Around $35 for 33oz
- Contains gingseng extract, inositol, panthenol, cystine, cysteine and biotin
Natur Vital Hair Loss Shampoo Around $13 for 300ml
- Contains pro-vitamin B5 and vitamins A, B3, B7, E, F, H, H1
- Contains nutrients from germinated wheat
- New improved organic formula
Mirage Anti Hair Loss Shampoo Around $15 for 10.5oz
- Contains a good number of natural ingredients and vitamins including: A, B1, B2, B3-Niacin, B5, B6, B12, C-Ascorbic Acid, D, E and K
- Contains nettle, which may inhibit DHT
Poll: What do you think is the best hair loss shampoo?
What’s the best hair loss shampoo for men?
Most men’s hair loss is caused by testosterone interacting with 5-alpha reductase, which produces DHT. We know that reducing DHT reduces hair loss, so as a man the best thing you can do is get a shampoo that reduces DHT.
Increased scalp DHT seems to result increased scalp inflammation, which may be one of the reasons DHT causes hair loss. So you also want a shampoo that contains ingredients that reduce inflammation, such as peppermint and ketoconazole.
If you’re a man I’d recommend using Nizoral shampoo twice a week because it contains a high concentration of ketoconazole (2%) and something like Lipogaine, Revita or Wick & Strom Apex Crown the other days of the week because they contain a lower concentration of ketoconazole plus loads of other really ingredients.
What are the key ingredients to look for in a good shampoo for hair loss?
The most effective ingredient against hair loss is ketoconazole. Ketoconazole is an anti-fungal agent commonly used in medicated anti-dandruff shampoo. However, it’s also thought to have DHT blocking properties and is widely used and recommended by hundreds if not thousands of members of the biggest hair loss forums.
The most commonly used ketoconazole shampoo is Nizoral, which should only be used 2 or 3 times a week because it contains 2% ketoconazole. Ketoconazole is actually highly toxic, which is why it kills the bacteria that causes the funghi that causes dandruff. However, it’s not recommended to use it too frequently.
In my opinion a really good compromise is to use DS Laboratories Revita or the RegenePure shampoo, both of which contain lower concentrations of ketoconazole, so can be used daily and also contain several other beneficial ingredients. All of these shampoos are featured at the top of this page, from where you can compare ingredients, prices and weights.
It sounds like a gimmick but actually, studies have shown that topically applied caffeine may help reduce hair loss and even increase hair growth. Even a shampoo like Alpecin may be beneficial. However there’s a shampoo that contains a much higher dose of caffeine, which I’ve featured here on this page (the Majestic Pure Coffee Shampoo).
Of the shampoos on this page The DS Labs Revita shampoo also contains caffeine. In fact Revita contains all the key ingredients for stimulating hair growth, which is why I feature it at the top of my list. However, it is also one of the most expensive shampoos on this list.
The RegenePure, FolliOne and Wick & Strom shampoos also contain caffeine. You can view their full ingredients lists by scrolling up the page.
DHT Blocking ingredients
DHT is the most significant cause of hair loss. It’s the main cause of male pattern baldness, which is the most common form of hair loss. DHT is a by-product of the hormone testosterone (which is why men experience hair loss far more than women). When DHT reaches the hair follicles is causes them to gradually miniaturize, until they become dormant.
There are several natural ingredients that are known to block the conversion of testosterone into DHT and this blocking is the basis of many hair loss treatments. Several ingredients are used in these shampoois to block DHT. If you’re suffering male pattern baldness, look for a shampoo that contains ingredients like:
What else should you look for in a hair loss shampoo?
If you want to fight hair loss and help your hair grow you want a shampoo that contains ingredients that improve circulation in the scalp, such as niacin. You also need a shampoo that cleanses your scalp well, otherwise pores may become blocked, leading to hair loss — ingredients like salicylic acid help with this. Finally, you should look for ingredients that reduce DHT in your scalp because DHT causes hair loss. These are the primary three concerns. After that you can start to look for shampoos containing nutrients that help feed your hair or energize cells in the scalp.
What to avoid in a shampoo
You need a shampoo that cleanses your scalp well, but you should avoid shampoos with harsh chemicals like “sodium lauryl sulfate” — this is like a bleach, which after years of use may cause hair follicle miniaturization and may also be toxic if absorbed through your skin (though in small doses is safe). See organic shampoos that don’t contain sodium lauryl sulfate for more information.
My review of hair loss shampoos — what is the best shampoo for hair loss prevention and hair growth promotion?
I’ve listed above some of the best hair loss shampoos available. Where I’ve listed the benefits and drawbacks for each shampoo I have listed ALL the benefits and ALL the drawbacks (as far as I can see). So if there’s only one benefit, there’s only one benefit — likewise with the drawbacks. If you want me to look at any other shampoos, let me know in the comments.
In my opinion the best shampoos out there are DS Laboratories Revita Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo, RegenePure and Wick & Strom. DS Labs Revita shampoo ticks almost all the boxes. However, it’s very expensive. If $25 is a bit excessive (which it probably is for most people), you might be better off going for a natural or even organic shampoo that is isn’t specifically labelled as a hair loss shampoo. The problem with a lot of hair loss shampoos is they contain ingredients that may help promote hair growth, but to save money they’ve used cheap base ingredients like sodium lauryl sulphate.
So if you’re not prepared to pay for the DS Labs Revita shampoo or any of my other top 5, it’s probably worth taking a look at my list of organic shampoos, which are cheaper and also contain many beneficial ingredients.
Questions, Recommendations, Suggestions?
If you have a question, have seen an error or you know of a shampoo you think should be listed here, please post a reply using the link below.